A question we’re often asked here at Sheet Plastic Direct is whether Lexan Margard is worth the additional cost over standard Lexan Polycarbonate, and what benefits it has. Let’s take a look.
What is Lexan Margard?
Lexan Margard Polycarbonate (often called Marguard or Lexan MR5e) is simply a coated variety of regular Lexan Polycarbonate. Made by SABIC Innovative Plastics who manufacture the Lexan brand of polycarbonate products, it is a very high quality, durable premium plastic sheet.
The special coating found only on Lexan Margard ensures greater abrasion and scratch resistance over regular polycarbonate, and also allows good UV protection. Margard also features greater chemical resistance, and is more resistant to cleaning marks and graffiti.
What is Lexan Margard Used For?
Frequent applications of Lexan Margard, due to it’s strength, clarity and safety, include:
- Vehicle windows, especially race-prepared cars
- Agricultural machines
- Bus shelters
- Machinery guards
- Transparent boat decks and windows
Here’s a round-up of features of Lexan Margard:
- Superior impact strength and forced entry protection (up to 250 times impact resistance of glass and 30 times that of acrylic)
- Excellent clarity
- High resistance to abrasion
- Surface coating allows graffiti to be removed
- UV protected – high resistance to discolouration and weathering
- Lightweight – easy handling
- Light transmission: Between 84 and 90%
- Fire rating: BS476 Part 7 Class 1Y (5 and 6mm)
- Impact strength: Complies with DIN 52290 part 4 and BS5544 (4mm and above)
We recommend Lexan Margard
Overall, Lexan Margard is the perfect choice if your application falls into any of the categories we’ve mentioned above. In fact, the majority of Margard that we supply goes to customers looking for marine and car windows.
If you feel your application of Polycarbonate may come under added stress or be prone to impacts/abrasion, we’d certainly recommend choosing a Margard product.
We only supply Genuine Lexan Margard Polycarbonate here at Sheet Plastic Direct. It is film-protected on both sides, thoroughly inspected before delivery, cut to size and delivered for free. You won’t find Lexan Margard cheaper anywhere else.